To qualify for this certificate you must:
1. Construct and demonstrate on your own or a club layout, the satisfactory operation of an electrical control system on a model railroad capable of simultaneous and independent control of two mainline trains in either direction, and containing at least:
· For conventional DC wiring (non-command-control), five electrical blocks that can be controlled independently. For command control wiring (DCC, TMCC, and others), sufficient gaps and switches to AP Regulations maintain polarity, phase if needed, and troubleshooting.
· one mainline passing siding
· one of the following: reversing loop, wye, turntable or
· one yard with a minimum of three tracks and a
switching lead independent of the mainline
· facilities for the storing of at least two unused motive
· one power supply with protective devices (short
indicator or circuit breaker) to ensure safe operation.
2. Wire and demonstrate the electrical operation of at least three of the following items:
· double crossover
· single slip switch
· gauge separation turnout
· double junction turnout
· three way turnout
· gauntlet turnout
· spring switch
· operating switch in overhead wire
Operating third rail (either center or outside) powered layouts may be considered for ALL aspects of the AP.
3. Wire and demonstrate the satisfactory electrical operation of at least three of the following features:
· Electrical turnout position indication on a control panel or at track side for a minimum of four turnouts · Track occupancy indication on a control panel or at track side for a minimum of five blocks.
· Cab control, making provision for connection of at least two power supplies to a minimum of five blocks as the trains progress.
· Engine terminal including an electrically powered turntable or a transfer table, a minimum of three stall tracks and at least two "blocked storage sections" for
parking locomotives outside the stall area
· Two turnout junctions with electrical interlocking and protecting trackside signals
· Constant intensity lighting
· Electronic throttle with inertia and braking provisions · Grade crossing with electrically actuated warning indication
· Two-way block signaling with automatic train detection for at least five blocks
· Operating overhead wire and collecting current with either trolley poles or pantographs or both · Installation of an advanced electronic and/or computer
control for the model railroad
· Design, installation and operation of animated mechanical and/or electrical displays
· Design, installation and operation of mechanical and/or electrical layout lighting displays
· Installation of a command control receiver in a locomotive. Modifications or additions to the device's wiring are required. Installing a plug-equipped decoder into a manufactured prewired socket is not sufficient.
· Installation of a command control throttle buss line around a layout capable of handling at least two throttles at three or more separate locations Commercially assembled complete units are not acceptable in items below:
· Construction and installation of a sound system
· Construction and installation of a signaling system
· Development and installation of a CTC system
· Installation and operation of an onboard video system
· Computer generated displays of block detection information
· Hardwired or stored control program for operation of the railroad
· Development and demonstration of a computer to railroad interface
· Other _________________________________
The use of advanced power supply, train control, track wiring and track control methods shall not be restricted by the definitions in these minimum requirements.
4. Prepare a schematic drawing of the propulsion circuitry of the model railroad in Section 1 showing the gaps, blocks, feeders, speed and direction control, electrical switches and power supplies. Prepare schematic drawings identifying the wiring and components of the six items in Sections 2 & 3.
5. Submit a completed Statement of Qualifications (SOQ)
which shall include the following:
a) Attachment showing the track plan required in Section 1.
b) Description of the trackwork features, method of construction and identification of commercial components used in Section 2 & 3.
c) The signed Witness Certification form showing that each of the above items are operational and meet all applicable NMRA Standards.